Particle is hiring an Infrastructure Engineer to own, improve, and scale the Particle Cloud, a set of Kubernetes clusters hosted on AWS running applications that support large fleets of Internet of Things (IoT) devices. Particle has built the largest community of IoT developers through a focus on making hard problems feel easy, and one key aspect of this is our reliable cloud services.
You’ll work closely every day with a spectacular and diverse team of excellent communicators, and because this is IoT, you’ll collaborate with folks across the fullest possible stack, from electrical engineers and firmware engineers to experts in mobile UX, DevSecOps, cellular carrier infrastructure, and low level networking protocols.
Are you experienced with modern cloud infrastructure best practices? Do you have a passion for building secure systems that scale? Do you enjoy finding elegant ways to enable application developers to be productive using Kubernetes? We believe in the power of test-driven development to shape good design in application and infrastructure code. We’re looking for colleagues who similarly feel compelled to make everything they touch more maintainable, more robust, and more secure.
You will take ownership of projects while documenting and teaching the whole team as you go. You’ll help us constantly improve the quality and reliability of our existing systems as well as design and build new systems that support the needs of growing Particle device fleets.
We care about our people. We provide weeks of onboarding content to everyone who joins the company on strategy, go-to-market, technical topics, the various product offerings, people and values, the different departments and their goals, and more. We do pulse surveys, engagement surveys, and 360 feedback. Your manager will care about your career path and coach you to achieve it. You’ll also have a Cultural Ambassador right from the start to help you learn to navigate all the unwritten stuff.
WHAT YOU’LL DO:
- Automate cloud infrastructure changes to be self-service by developers using tools like Terraform Enterprise and workflow processes such as GitOps.
- Participate in an engineering on-call rotation.
- Build dashboards and notification systems related to health of infrastructure
- Proactively look for security issues in infrastructure tools and services and recommend practical next steps to remediate on the right timeline
- Define and refine disaster recovery processes
- User management and access control
- Help hire fellow members of your growing team
- Have extraordinary written and spoken communication skills
- Live our values: Caring, Curiosity, Openness, Trust, Joy
- Have managed complex AWS deployments
- 3+ years of managing cloud infrastructure at scale
- Significant experience working with many remote colleagues
- Have fluency with Docker
- Have fluency with git and the GitHub Flow
- Experience using project management / issue tracking software
- Can occasionally travel for team gatherings (currently we have offices in San Francisco, Las Vegas, Minneapolis, and Shenzhen)
NICE TO HAVES:
The following items, while definitely not required, would make you more qualified.
- Managed production Kubernetes clusters at scale
- Managed multi-account, multi-region AWS deployments
- Ability to write software in Ruby and/or Node.js