As a Director Software Development, you are responsible for leading a department of self steering Agile teams, focused on a specific business area. We hire the best and the brightest professionals, and we empower individuals rather than restrict them.
Your role is to support your department and help them to grow toward their goals, whilst keeping them in line with company vision / strategy. You can hold your own in a technical argument, but you know getting out of the way is often the best option. You get things done via influence not authority. You unlock the creativity of your team and inspire them to build the best for our customers. You work closely with your product counterparts to ensure we are always working towards what’s most important for our customers and to achieve high business impact.
You take full end to end responsibility for your area.
- Lead a sub-department (100+ FTEs) of agile development teams within Technology, focused on a specific business area.
- Build a strong leadership team within your area, by coaching and developing Software Development Managers as well as top technical talent, such as Principals and Seniors.
- Ensure that the Booking architecture principles and engineering practices are adhered to, and that there is direction and alignment for each product. Be on the lookout for significant technology impediments and scalability issues that need attention.
- Work closely with product leadership and make sure that the organisation structure supports the business goals.
- Organise team structure to achieve strategic business priorities. Continuously think and prepare for scaling
- Measure success KPI’s and report on tracks and team performance and business impact
- Ensure clear and effective communication at all levels: proactively keep all stakeholders informed of what’s happening, upcoming changes, projects, issues, etc.
- Identify, attract, hire, develop and retain IT talent from around the world
- Empower your teams to do their best work at Booking.com
- Contribute to the delivery of the Technology department’s goals. Own Technology-wide topics and help lead and grow the department.
- 7+ years experience in Agile coaching/leadership
- 5+ years experience in a similar leadership or managerial role
- Excellent communication skills
- Independent, pragmatic and proactive work attitude
- Technical background, ability to lead engineering teams and drive technology is a must
- Experience working on large scale platforms
- Knowledge of the travel industry is a plus
This position is open to candidates worldwide and when hired we provide Visa and Relocation assistance.
IT is the core of our business and we ensure that we give the best ‘deal’ possible, to our employees. Here is what you get:
- Living and working in Amsterdam, one of the most cosmopolitan cities in Europe
- Contributing to a high scale, complex, world renowned product and seeing real time impact of your work
- Working in a fast paced and performance driven culture
- Career Advancement via Online and On-the-job training, Hackathons, Conferences and active community participation
- Competitive compensation and benefits package and some great added perks of working in the home city of Booking.com