WordPress doesn’t try to keep its users inside walled gardens, a rare thing in a world that is dangerously moving away from the open web. Instead, WordPress gives them the freedom to build a business website, an online store, or a personal blog – the way they like it. Big sites or small, using the community-run open source project or Automattic’s WordPress.com, vanilla or customised with hundreds of plugins, WordPress users always get to own and control their data, their expression, and their freedom.
What have we worked on recently?
- Gutenberg – a new block-level editor, clean abstractions for users, too, not just developers.
- Jetpack is a plugin that brings cloud-scale features to self-hosted sites and our latest addition is Rewind, think `git` for WordPress sites.
- WooCommerce is the most popular e-commerce platform on the web.
- Longer product list is on Automattic.com.
How do we work?
- We open-source! We’re cool with open-sourcing everything except passwords, or secret keys.
- We ship often, we deploy many times daily, with the help of peer code review and continuous integration.
- Our engineering organization is flat, and you can be involved in any discussion across our many communication channels.
- We’re kind to each other and our users – we strive to build a positive, supportive and inclusive culture of cohesive teams focused on delivering value to our customers.
- Developing and maintaining our desktop apps for WordPress, Simplenote, and others.
- Maximising code reuse between our desktop and mobile apps through the use of React Native, Electron, and other technologies.
This position might be a good fit if you:
- Have a solid understanding of Electron.
- Have knowledge of tooling and build systems.
- Have fluency in hybrid native/web environments (ideally both desktop and mobile).
- Are highly collaborative and love participating in code reviews and discussions about architecture, or design.
- Are thoughtful about product design, with good user experience instincts.
- Are reliable and self-directed.
- WordPress programming experience.
- Data analysis experience, and understanding of how analytics can help with product decisions.
- Open source contributions, particularly involvement in open source (or other) communities.
- Experience working on accessibility.
Speaking of interests and skills, here some areas in which you can grow and have further impact in the future:
- Learning and development – we have a generous personal development budget and encourage you to grow your skills through courses, books and conferences.
- Architecture – we encourage developers to develop expertise in the systems they work with, guide their evolution and mentor other developers working on them.
- Engineering effectiveness – helping other developers become more effective through tools, practices, cross-team collaborations, and process improvements.
- Leadership – we offer a variety of leadership options to those who have interest, including becoming a team lead.
These are exciting times at Automattic and you’ll have a unique opportunity to shape the future of our products. Join us! We look forward to hearing from you.
Diversity & Inclusion at Automattic
We’re improving diversity in the tech industry. At Automattic, we want people to love their work and show respect and empathy to all. We welcome differences and strive to increase participation from traditionally underrepresented groups. Our D&I committee involves Automatticians across the company and drives grassroots change. For example, this group has helped facilitate private online spaces for affiliated Automatticians to gather and helps run a monthly D&I People Lab series for further learning. Diversity and Inclusion is a priority at Automattic, though our dedication influences far more than just Automatticians: We make our products freely available and translate our products into and offer customer support in numerous languages. We require unconscious bias training for our hiring teams and ensure our products are accessible across different bandwidths and devices. Read more about our dedication to diversity and inclusion.
HOW TO APPLY
Does this sound interesting? If yes, please send a short email to jobs @ this domaintelling us about yourself and attach a résumé as a PDF. Let us know what you can contribute to the team. Include the title of the position you’re applying for and your name in the subject.
Proofread! Make sure you spell and capitalize WordPress and Automattic correctly. We are lucky to receive hundreds of applications for every position, so try to make your application stand out. If you apply for multiple positions or send multiple emails there will be one reply.
If you’re reading this on a site other than automattic.com please ensure you visit automattic.com/work-with-us for the latest details on applying.
Please answer the following questions in your cover letter. Applications without these questions answered will not be considered:
- Tell us some details about an interesting programming problem you’ve worked on. What made it interesting?
- How do you use our products or their competitors’? How would you improve one of them?
- When you make a
GETrequest to: https://public-api.wordpress.com/wpcom/v2/work-with-us
with a header
X-future: automatticianyou will receive a secret. What is it?
- What questions do you have for us?