We are the company behind WordPress.com, Jetpack, and WooCommerce and are looking for an excellent candidate to join the Strategy and Corporate Development team.
As a Manager of Strategy and Corporate Development, you will play a wide-ranging role helping build Automattic and WordPress.com, including:
- Work directly with key leaders across our company to help drive high-quality business and financial decisions.
- Partner with internal teams to grow the revenue of our various business units. Example projects include pricing optimization, product line profitability, competitor analyses, initiative forecasting, etc.
- Conduct analyses and market research to identify, assess, and prioritize new business opportunities.
- Make buy/build/partner decisions, and evaluate potential acquisition targets.
- Help negotiate terms, execute deals, integrate acquisitions, and lead their long-term success.
THE IDEAL CANDIDATE
- Has 3-5+ years of experience with a strong foundation developed in consulting, investment banking, corporate development, or a similar analytical environment.
- Has strong analytical skills and the ability to model business opportunities and assess trade-offs.
- Is detail-oriented and meticulous, and able to build on that foundation to provide high-level insights and strategic advice.
- Has experience doing market and competitive research, working on M&A transactions, and working cross-functionally with Legal, Engineering, Marketing, and Finance teams.
- Is proficient in data visualization and in communicating quantitative insights.
- Is highly self-motivated, and able to work with significant autonomy.
A real passion for open source technology and an understanding of CMS, SaaS, and hosting environments is preferred. If you have experience with WordPress, software development, coding, open source, or other relevant areas, don’t forget to mention it. Like all positions at Automattic, you’ll work remotely, and can be based wherever you live. We’re a distributed team, so good communication skills are a must.
We’re a distributed company with more than 700 Automatticians in 62 countries speaking 79 different languages. Our common goal is to democratize publishing so that anyone with a story can tell it, regardless of income, gender, politics, language, or where they live in the world.
We believe in Open Source and the vast majority of our work is available under the GPL.
Diversity & Inclusion at Automattic
We’re improving diversity in the tech industry. At Automattic, we want people to love their work and show respect and empathy to all. We welcome differences and strive to increase participation from traditionally underrepresented groups. Our D&I committee involves Automatticians across the company and drives grassroots change. For example, this group has helped facilitate private online spaces for affiliated Automatticians to gather and helps run a monthly D&I People Lab series for further learning. Diversity and Inclusion is a priority at Automattic, though our dedication influences far more than just Automatticians: We make our products freely available and translate our products into and offer customer support in numerous languages. We require unconscious bias training for our hiring teams and ensure our products are accessible across different bandwidths and devices. Read more about our dedication to diversity and inclusion.
HOW TO APPLY
Does this sound interesting? If yes, please send a short email to jobs @ this domaintelling us about yourself and attach a résumé as a PDF. Let us know what you can contribute to the team. Include the title of the position you’re applying for and your name in the subject.
Proofread! Make sure you spell and capitalize WordPress and Automattic correctly. We are lucky to receive hundreds of applications for every position, so try to make your application stand out. If you apply for multiple positions or send multiple emails there will be one reply.
If you’re reading this on a site other than automattic.com please ensure you visit automattic.com/work-with-us for the latest details on applying.
Want to increase your chances of standing out?
- Tell us about a time you made a decision regarding whether or not to pursue a business opportunity, such as an acquisition, partnership, expansion into a new market, or new product launch. What decision did you make and how did you make it?
- In one sentence, how would you describe Automattic’s business model to someone who isn’t familiar with the company?
- What is your favorite SaaS metric for a business similar to WordPress.com, and why?