Particle is hiring a Manufacturing and Data Reliability Engineer to own, improve, and scale the software systems that enable us to manufacture our diverse family of IoT devices. Particle has built the largest community of IoT developers through a focus on making hard problems feel easy, and one key aspect of this is securely and reliably manufacturing devices that just work out of the box with our reliable cloud services.
You will be leading and refining the vision for how we interact with and scale the technical systems that power our manufacturing processes, including how the rest of the Particle Device Cloud interacts with and relies on manufacturing data. You’ll work with folks across many disciplines to build out functionality that enables Particle to scale up manufacturing capacity, provide real-time visibility into manufacturing operations, manufacture custom SKUs with custom firmware for customers, and more, so that when customers receive their devices, they work exactly as expected.
You’ll manage a distributed network of LabVIEW factory workstations orchestrated by a Ruby on Rails application and Hosted Chef. You will continuously probe the data produced by these systems to validate they are behaving as expected. You’ll troubleshoot problems as they emerge, empathize with stakeholders in the manufacturing process, and identify practical solutions to solve immediate problems. At every step, you’ll incorporate what you’ve learned into the roadmap and strategic vision for these technical systems.
Do you have a passion for building rock-solid distributed systems that scale? Do you thrive on interdisciplinary collaboration? We’re looking for colleagues compelled to make everything they touch more maintainable, more robust, and more secure. We’re looking for a technical leader that can independently facilitate the right conversations with the right people to do the highest impact work toward our manufacturing operations objectives.
We care about our people. We provide weeks of onboarding content to everyone who joins the company on strategy, go-to-market, technical topics, the various product offerings, people and values, the different departments and their goals, and more. We do pulse surveys, engagement surveys, and 360 feedback. Your manager will care about your career path and coach you to achieve it. You’ll also have a Culture Ambassador right from the start to help you learn to navigate all the unwritten stuff.
WHAT YOU’LL DO
- Develop robust tools and processes to identify and remediate data integrity issues across a wide array of backends including MongoDB, Hosted Chef, and SQL databases
- Write, maintain, and deploy Ruby on Rails applications
- Manage Windows laptops powering our factory test rigs using remote management solutions
- Advance our National Instruments LabVIEW manufacturing hardware and configurations to improve ease of use and reliability in close collaboration with Particle LabVIEW experts on the ground in China
- Safely roll out coordinated updates to test rigs of various software packages including LabVIEW, Particle Device OS builds, custom firmware applications, and more
- Build intelligent notification systems to ensure every aspect of critical manufacturing infrastructure is operating as expected at all times
- Participate in an engineering on-call rotation
- Coordinate projects with remote colleagues spanning time zones, languages and cultures; our headquarters are in San Francisco, while manufacturing operations are primarily in Shenzhen and Las Vegas
- Have significant experience working with many remote colleagues
- Have extraordinary written and spoken communication skills
- Solidly understand Ruby on Rails
- Have experience writing tests that are run in continuous integration systems
- Have experience querying SQL and NoSQL databases and analyzing the results
- Be fluent with git
- Be willing to travel internationally for a week about 4 times per year
- Live our values: Caring, Curiosity, Openness, Trust, Joy
NICE TO HAVE
The following items, while definitely not required, would make you more qualified.
- Experience with Chef
- Experience remotely administering physical Windows computers
- LabVIEW expertise
- Spoken Mandarin