Apple’s Compiler Runtime team is looking for a runtime expert to work on the Swift and Objective-C runtime libraries. This software is at the heart of Apple’s products, so your contributions in this role will have a huge impact. The ideal candidate will love working on low-level multithreaded system software, creatively handling performance tradeoffs, and even dropping down to assembly code when necessary. The runtime support for Swift is part of the open-source Swift project (https://swift.org), so you will engage with the Swift community on a regular basis. Because the runtime libraries play such a central role in Apple’s software platforms, you will also interact with a variety of other teams throughout the company. Swift has grown rapidly since it was introduced in 2014, but we have ambitious goals and there are many exciting features to support in the runtime.
- Strong programming skills with C++ and related development tools
- Low-level performance tuning experience, including a thorough knowledge of the performance behavior of modern processor architectures
- Exceptional debugging skills
- Experience writing thread-safe code while maintaining high performance
- Commitment to constant improvement of software development practices, especially careful attention to testing
- You bring passion and dedication to your job and are committed to building a quality product
The Swift and Objective-C runtimes provide the low-level support for these programming languages, implementing things like reference counting and method dispatch. As a runtime engineer, you will work on all aspects of these libraries. High performance is key for this code, so you will need to carefully evaluate changes to squeeze out every last drop of speed. You will design and implement support for new products and features in close collaboration with other teams, so strong communication and teamwork skills will be important. A significant component of this job will be maintaining the existing code and investigating reports of problems from both internal Apple engineers and external app developers. Those problems are often hard to reproduce so you will need to figure out the the causes from a few clues and find creative ways to collect more information when necessary. Come join us to help solve these challenges! The position is based onsite at Apple’s campus in Cupertino, California. International candidates are welcome to apply but will need to relocate; the company will sponsor a visa.
Education & Experience
Bachelor of Science in Computer Science or equivalent experience.
- The following are desirable but not required:
- • Deep understanding of Objective-C and Swift
- • Experience with programming language implementation
- • Experience contributing to open source projects