|Free Law Project||IT||Freelance||Remote||Remote|
For this contract position, we are looking for somebody to help us with two major initiatives that we expect to take around six months to complete.
The first initiative will be to gather and share a huge new collection of legal data that previously was only available behind a paywall. If successful, this project will collect millions of documents and make them freely available to the public.
The second initiative is to finally audit and complete our case law database. For the first time in history, thanks to the tireless work of innumerable people, a free, audited, and complete collection of case law is possible. We have been working with librarians for years to gather the data needed for this project, have gotten the work funded, and now just need the right person to make it happen. Like Wikipedia, once this is done, it’ll never need to be done again.
If these projects are successful, we hope to hire you as a full time employee.
We’re looking for somebody that has deep experience in the following:
- Languages: Python, SQL
- Database: Modeling, PostgreSQL
- APIs: Django REST Framework, Django ORM & migrations
Excellent written communication and a demonstrated ability to work independently on larger technical projects are also important for this role.
Proficiency with the following is preferred, though expertise is not a must:
- Celery distributed task queues including task canvases
- Django framework
- An understanding of the American legal system, with a particular expertise in its data and information flows
The following are nice-to-haves:
- Scraping: lxml, XPath, Python requests, HTTP
- Knowledge of the Github workflow and expertise with git
- Experience working with open source code and in open-culture organizations
- Experience or interest in developing extensions for Chrome or Firefox
- A degree from a law school, school of information, or school of library science (or similar experience)
- A gnawing frustration with the current legal ecosystem
If you think you may be able to help us launch this system, please submit your application above.