We seek a PhD student to work on CSIRO-funded research scholarship project titled ‘Techno-economic evaluation tools development for hydrogen energy systems’
Australia can export its vast solar and wind resources via H2 transported as liquid NH3, both of which can be used as feedstock for industrial processes and fuel sources for heat and electricity generation and vehicles. However, the process requires detailed calculations on material flow, capital and operating costs, energy footprint and CO2 emissions. This work involves reviewing the available technologies on hydrogen energy systems and developing a generic techno-economic tool to evaluate them.
The PhD student will work with CSIRO experimental teams to study and evaluate the existing technologies on hydrogen energy systems and develop the system model using process flowsheeting software like Aspen plus and spreadsheet simulations.
Value and duration
Up to $31,000 per annum for three years with a possible extension of six months (full time).
Number of scholarships available
Candidates with backgrounds in chemical engineering are encouraged to apply. However, candidates with excellent performance in other fields such as process/energy engineering will also be considered.
To be eligible for this scholarship you must:
- be an Australian citizen, Australian permanent resident or a self-funded international student
- have first-class honours or 2A honours or equivalent or a Masters by research degree in a relevant discipline of engineering
- provide evidence of good oral and written communication skills
- demonstrate the ability to work as part of a multi-disciplinary research team
- meet RMIT’s entry requirements for the Doctor of Philosophy.
How to apply
Interested candidates should contact Prof. Raj Parthasarath: email@example.com
- a statement to outline your interest
- an electronic copy of your academic transcripts
- a CV that includes any publications and the contact details of 2 referees.
For international applicants, evidence of English proficiency may be required.
Applications are now open.
Applications will close when a candidate is selected.
Terms and conditions
This Scholarship will be governed by RMIT’s University Scholarship Terms and Conditions.
For more information contact: